Chiang Mai Yee Peng
Thailand’s Loy Krathong Festival is celebrated nationwide. On this Full Moon day, celebrating the festival in Lanna Style locally known as “Yee Peng” is only unique to Chiang Mai.
Scheduled to take place on 19 – 20 November 2021, Chiang Mai’s Yee Peng Lantern Festival will once again light up the entire city with 10,000 colorful hanging lanterns and flag decorations.
Throughout a 2-day Chiang Mai Yee Peng event, there will be…
- An exhibition of giant krathongs at 7 locations around Chiang Mai city: Tha Phae Gate, Three Kings Monument, Chang Phuak Gate, Suan Dok Gate, Chiang Mai Gate, Sompet Market, and in front of Chiang Mai Municipality Office
- Miss & Mister Yee Peng Beauty contest
- Yee Peng Kids Contest
- Banana Leaves Krathong Contest
- Lanna Lantern Contest (big hanging lantern)
In addition, there will be a traditional ceremony of lighting northern Thai candles, which is believed to be a symbol of showing gratitude to the objects we’ve taken advantage of, and lantern lights that we lit will guide our lives in a forward-looking manner.
Top spots for floating a krathong in Chiang Mai:
- Both sides of the Ping River, spanning to in front of Chiang Mai Municipality Office
- Nawarat Bridge
- Iron Bridge (parallel to Nawarat Bridge, 500 meters next)
- Wat Chai Mongkhon (next to the Ping River)
- Wat Fa Ham (next to the Ping River)
- Riverside restaurants. Some offer special promotion of free krathong and you can float it right at the restaurant’s pier.
- Chansom Memorial Bridge (Wat Ket Community)
Plan your Loy Krathong trip today and fly Bangkok Airways to Chiang Mai. Airfare starts from 1,360 THB/One-way. Book yours on https://bit.ly/32tRALh
Passengers on Economy Class will be provided with the following services free of charge: